So far, many models of Stihl chainsaws have come into the market. But can all models be perfect for an operator? No, of course, it won’t. Rather, different operators require different models of chainsaws.
Stihl chainsaws are getting upgraded almost every year with advanced features. That’s why a clear understanding of older models, as well as newer models, can help you choose the most effective chainsaw for you.
In this article, I will provide a list of Stihl chainsaw models by year. Here, you will find old chainsaw models as well as new models. Hope this article helps you to upgrade your chainsaw or buy a new one.
Stihl Chainsaw Model History
It may surprise you to know that the first chainsaw invented by Andreas Stihl (founder of Andreas Stihl AG) in 1926 weighed 48 kg. Later, in 1930, they invented a chainsaw that one person could operate.
Since then, the popularity of Stihl chainsaws has increased gradually. The company was also working to improve the usability and performance of chainsaws. In continuation of this, since 1952, Stihl chainsaws of different series and models have started coming to the market.
In the 1970s, the company built manufacturing facilities in the United States and Brazil to ensure a supply for increased demand. Besides, the company introduced various upgraded modes in the market, considering different operators and different requirements.
Today, we find various models and series of Stihl chainsaws in the market. There are different Stihl chainsaws for various operators. Unique features and benefits of these chainsaws make different work more convenient.
Why Should We Need to Know Stihl Chainsaw Models by Year?
Well, we notice companies work to improve the quality of their products regularly. The company is modernizing its products by adding modern features to Stihl chainsaws. That’s why almost every year we see a new series or model of chainsaws.
We need to experience the upgradation of these chainsaw models to make our work easier. Suppose you want to buy a new chainsaw. Maybe the company introduces some improved chainsaws to the model you were using.
Or there are chainsaws on the market with features that can make your job easier. Ideas about all models will help you choose the best Stihl chainsaw for you. As a result, your productivity will increase as well as reduce your workload.
Stihl Chainsaw Model Numbers List By Production Year
Since 1952, the company has marketed many models of chainsaws. These include gas chainsaws as well as electric chainsaws. You will find some old or vintage Stihl chainsaws on the list that are no longer manufactured.
I will list the models here as gas and electric-powered on a series basis. This will make it easier for you to find models or get an idea about them.
Stihl Gas Chainsaws: Production Years Per Series
Below I list all STIHL gas chainsaws series, including models. Also mention the production year in brackets.
- Stihl MS 500i, MS MS 500i W (2019-2022) (Stihl MS 500i All Problems)
- Stihl MS 150 C-E, MS 150 T C-E (2013-2022)
- Stihl MS 201 C, 201 T C (2011-2015)
- Stihl MS 201 T C-M, 201 C-EM (2015-2022)
- Stihl MS 661 C-M (2014-2022) [Stihl MS 661 Problems]
- Stihl MS 241 C-M, 241 C-MQ (2014-2018)
- Stihl MS 251, 251 C-BE (2013-2022)
- Stihl MS 462 C-M (2019-2022) [All Stihl 462 Problems]
- Stihl MS 261 (2010-Current)
- Stihl MS 261 C-M (2014-2022)
- Stihl MS 261 C-MQ (2014-2019)
- Stihl MS 271, 291 (2010-2022)
- Stihl MS 311, 391 (2009-2022) [Stihl MS 391 Problems]
- Stihl MS 362, 362 C-Q (2010-2022)
- Stihl MS 362 C-M (2014-2022)
- Stihl MS 171, 181, 211 (2009-2022)
- Stihl MS 441 (2007-2012)
- Stihl MS 441 C-M (2011-2019)
- Stihl MS 192, 192 T (2005-2014)
- Stihl MS 193, 193 T (2014-2022)
- Stihl MS 361 (2004 – 2010)
- Stihl MS 270, 280 (2003 – 2010)
- Stihl 019T (1997-2002)
- Stihl MS 191 T (2002-2006)
- Stihl 017 (1995-2002)
- Stihl 018 (1999-2002)
- Stihl MS 180 C-B (2002-2012)
- Stihl MS 170 (2002-2022)
- Stihl MS 180 (2002-2022)
- Stihl 020T (1996-2002)
- Stihl MS 200, 200 T (2002-2012)
- Stihl 044 (1988-2001)
- Stihl 046 (1996-2001)
- Stihl MS 440 (2001-2012)
- Stihl MS 460 (2001-2012)
- Stihl MS 461 (2013-2022) [MS461 Discontinued?]
- Stihl 029, 039 (1992-2000)
- Stihl MS 310, 390 (2000-2009)
- Stihl MS 290 (2000-2012)
- Stihl 034AV (1984-1993)
- Stihl 036 (1991-2001)
- Stihl 036 Pro (1996-2001)
- Stihl 036QS (1997-2002)
- Stihl MS 360, 360 P, 360QS (2002-2005)
- Stihl 084 (1985-1997)
- Stihl 088 (1997-2004)
- Stihl MS 880 (2004-2022)
- Stihl 021, 023 (1990-2002)
- Stihl 023L, 023C (1996-2002)
- Stihl 025 (1991-2002)
- Stihl MS 210 (2002-2008)
- Stihl MS 230 (2002-2012)
- Stihl MS 250 (2002-2022)
- Stihl 064AV (1986-1997)
- Stihl 066 (1988-2003)
- Stihl MS 660 (2004-2014)
- Stihl MS 650 (2005-2012)
- Stihl 024AVES (1984-1989)
- Stihl 024AVEQWB (1985-1994)
- Stihl 026 (1988-2002)
- Stihl 026 Pro (1996-2002)
- Stihl MS 260, 260 P (2002-2011)
- Stihl 009 (1980-1989)
- Stihl 009 Mini Boss (1993-2006)
- Stihl 009LE (1982-2009)
- Stihl 010AV (1978-1982)
- Stihl 010AVE (1982-1985)
- Stihl 011AVEQ (1980-1990)
- Stihl 011AVT (1980-1982)
- Stihl 011AVET (1982-1996)
- Stihl 012AVE (1986-1994)
- Stihl 012AVET (1986-1989)
- Stihl 1121 024AVEQ (1982-1985)
- Stihl 038AVE (1980-1985)
- Stihl 038AVS (1982-1985)
- Stihl 038AVEFB (1983-1985)
- Stihl 038AVM (1984-1989)
- Stihl 038AVSFB (1985-1993)
- Stihl 038 MAGNUM (1985-1997)
- Stihl 028AV, 028WB (1979-1980)
- Stihl 028AVEQ (1979-1983)
- Stihl 028AVS (1983-1990)
- Stihl 015 (1973-1980)
- Stihl 015L (1973-1983)
- Stihl 015AV (1976-1983)
- Stihl 015AVE (1974-1983)
- Stihl 015AVEQ (1978-1983)
- Stihl 1117 042AV (1976-1980)
- Stihl 048 (1980-1985)
- Stihl 045 (1974-1980)
- Stihl 045 Super (1977-1980)
- Stihl 056AVSE (1980-1984)
- Stihl 056AV (1980-1985)
- Stihl 020 (1971-1979)
- Stihl 020AVP (1972-1979)
- Stihl 020 Super (1979-1994)
- Stihl 030 (1970-1971)
- Stihl 031 (1971-1982)
- Stihl 031E (1973-1982)
- Stihl 031Q (1980-1982)
- Stihl 032 (1978-1985)
- Stihl 041G (1969-1975)
- Stihl 050 (1968-1972)
- Stihl 051 (1972-1985)
- Stihl 075 (1974-1980)
- Stihl 076 (1980-1986)
- Stihl 040 (1966-1967)
- Stihl 041 (1967-1975)
- Stihl 041AV (1967-1986)
- Stihl 041AVE (1968-1973)
- Stihl 041FB (1976-1986)
- Stihl 041AVQ (1981-1985)
- Stihl 090G (1969-1985)
- Stihl 08 (1963-1965)
- Stihl 08S (1965-1994)
- Stihl S10 (1968-1973)
- Stihl 07 (1961-1965)
- Stihl 07S (1965-1968)
- Stihl Contra 06 (1959-1968)
- Stihl Contra S 06 (1964-1968)
- Stihl 070 & 090 (1968-1977)
- Stihl BLK (1954-1966)
- Stihl BL (1952-1959)
Stihl Electric Chainsaws: Production Years Per Series
There aren’t as many models of Stihl electric chainsaws as there are Stihl gas chainsaws. I have listed all of the Stihl electric chainsaw models in series order below.
- Stihl MSA 160 (2014-2022)
- Stihl MSA 161 T (2019-2022)
- Stihl MSA 200 (2020-2022)
- Stihl MSA 220 (2020-2022)
- Stihl MSE 250 C-Q (2015 – 2022)
- Stihl MSE 170 C-BQ, 210 C-BQ (2014-2022)
- Stihl E140, E180 (1998-2002)
- Stihl MSE 140, 141, 180 (2003-2014)
- Stihl MSE 141 C-Q (2017-2022)
- Stihl E20 (1985-1998)
- Stihl E220Q (1999-2002)
- Stihl E14 (1984-1997)
- Stihl E10 (1973-1984)
- Stihl E15 (1967-1985)
- Stihl E30 (1967-1985)
What Does the Model Number of a Stihl Chainsaw Actually Reveal?
Stihl chainsaw model numbers can confuse a new user. Prior to 2000, the company only released its models by number. After this period, they use MS at the beginning of chainsaw models.
The MS here comes from the German word Motorsäge, which in English means chainsaw. Electric chainsaws start with either MSA or MSE. MSA indicates the chainsaw is battery-powered, while MSE indicates it is an electric model.
The number in the model reveals a unique model. There are also some other characters in the model number that have different meanings. Such as B= quick chain adjuster, C= comfort, E= easy start, R= wrap handle, Q= quick start, etc.
The video below may help you understand the model number a little more.
New users often have a few queries regarding Stihl chainsaws. I would like to answer some such questions here. Hope these answers help many.
How to Tell If a Stihl Chainsaw Is Real?
There are three methods you can follow to understand whether a Stihl chainsaw is real. First, check if your chainsaw model is listed on the Stihl website. If it doesn’t match any of the models, the chainsaw is probably fake.
Second, check the price of the chainsaw. A Stihl chainsaw can cost several hundred dollars. If you get an offer at a cheap price, then you need to be careful. Because it is likely to be a fake Stihl model.
If you are a bit experienced, the third method is for you. Closely observe the chainsaw’s workmanship. Cheap chainsaws tend to have poor workmanship. You can tell between genuine and fake Stihl chainsaws by the saw’s workmanship.
How to Identify My Stihl Chainsaw Model?
It is really easy to identify a Stihl chainsaw model. These chainsaws have the model number stamped on the crankcase or motor housing. From here, you can find the model number of your Stihl chainsaw.
If the model number is not there, check out the supplied user manual. If that is also not possible, contact the dealer or manufacturer.
How to Tell the Year of a Stihl Chainsaw?
There are two ways to find out what year your Stihl chainsaw was manufactured.
- From the user manual: Usually, every Stihl chainsaw comes with a user manual. You can find out the year of manufacture of the chainsaw from here easily.
- From the serial number: If you do not have the user manual, you can also find out the year of manufacture of the Stihl chainsaw from the serial number. You will see a series of numbers after the first two letters of the serial number. The first two digits of the series show the year, and the next digit shows the month.
If you are still not sure, you can find the serial number in the company’s database or contact the dealer.
Is There a Shortage of Stihl Chainsaws?
Yes, there are occasional shortages in some models of Stihl chainsaws. The reason for this shortage is not always explained by the company. If you ever don’t get your desired model in the market, you can talk to the dealer. Maybe from the dealer, you can get information about the next available time.
To Sum Up
When buying a new Stihl chainsaw, you definitely want to get the best model. I have provided here a list of models of Stihl chainsaws, from the most recent chainsaws to the earliest ones. This will help you know about Stihl chainsaw models by year initially.
Also, if you’re looking to buy a vintage Stihl chainsaw, this list will help you identify when the chainsaw was actually made. The article will also help you realize if the chainsaw is genuine.