Husqvarna makes chainsaws for all kind of users — large parcel land owners, who often need to cut down live and dead timber, professionals, who use their tools on a daily basis, and also the occasional user, who may have to remove or trim a tree couple of times every year.
Most homeowners fall into the category of occasional users. Whether it’s due to overgrowth or inclement weather, at one time or another you will likely need to trim or completely remove a tree from your yard.
To properly do this, you are going to need the right tool for the job. And the Husqvarna 445 is such a tool. In this Husqvarna 445 review, I am going to inform you about the features of this model, so you can make your decision knowing what you’re purchasing.
- Engine Power: 45.7 cc
- Power Output: 2.8 hp
- Three-piece crankshaft
- Snap-lock cylinder cover
- Weight: 10.8 lbs.
- Max. Length: 20 in.
- Max. Power speed: 9000 RPM
- Centrifugal air cleaning system
- Automatic Oil Pump
- Fuel Capacity: 8.8 fl.oz.
- Sound Level: 103.3 dB
- Visible fuel level gauge
Features of Husqvarna 445 Chainsaw:
East to Start
If you are new to the chainsaw game, this model comes with some features that make it easier to handle and easier to get started.
Husqvarna’s Smart Start system makes this chainsaw a snap to start, which makes it appealing to the newbies of chainsaws. It has a combined start and stop switch as well as a fuel pump, making the saw easy to start. The starter and engine have been designed to start swiftly with minimum effort.
In addition, priming removes air from the fuel system and the carburetor and makes starting easier by lessening the number of pulls you need to do in order to start your chainsaw.
The risk of engine flooding is reduced by a combined choke and stop control and it simplifies starting and stopping the saw as well.
The Husqvarna comes with an 18 inch guide bar with a nose sprocket. The nose sprocket should be greased regularly to prevent the wheel seizing or failing to operate properly. The chain has a 0.325” pitch, a 0.05” gauge and 72 drive links.
Compare to some other saws, this saw runs a slightly narrower chain and this is what you might call a ‘high speed’ chain. The chain speed at full power is 17.3 meters per second which is quite great for a saw of this size.
The 445 is compatible with different sized guide bars and the recommended lengths range from 13” to 20”, so you can pick the most suitable one depending on your regular cutting need. The chainsaw is most fitting to the use of 16” or 18” bars.
X-Torq Fuel-Saving System
A customary feature that you can find in the newer models of Husqvarna is the X-Torq engine. And this one is no exception. This chainsaw has a 45.7cc 2 stroke X-Torque engine capable of generating 2.8hp. This fuel efficient saw is eco-friendly as well.
The X-Torq engine has been designed to reduce emission levels to be compliant with even the most strict environmental regulations and it increases fuel efficiency as well. The increased fuel efficiency means more cutting and lesser refuel breaks. The reduced exhaust is good for your health too. In operation, the maximum speed of the saw is 9,000 RPM. It is fair to say that the power this saw can deliver is more than enough for the farm and home user.
If durability is your concern, you are more than secure with the Husqvarna 445. The crankshaft is built with three separate parts for maximized durability. This helps the crankshaft to keep going for a long time and withstand tough jobs.
Since cutting wood is all about dust, cutting wood is messy. With all the sawdust and wood chips flying around, it’s not easy to keep the debris from clogging the air filter on a saw. However, the Husqvarna 445 has a centrifugal air cleaning system that prevents larger debris particles even before it reaches the air filter.
This increases the life of the engine and reduces the need for you to clean the air filter.
Automatic Oil Release System
The 445 comes with an automatic oil release system, which means you don’t have to do it manually. However, it is a fixed flow system, so you can’t adjust the flow of oil which is particularly useful when you need to adapt to different cutting conditions.
The Husqvarna 445 incorporates a lot of safety features that keep the user and the machine safe from harm. The included safety features are:
- There is a chain brake which you can manually activate by pushing the front hand guard forward with the left hand. Also, it can be automatically activated by inertia by an inertia release mechanism. This will be activated in the event of a violent and serious kickback.
- Throttle lock-out switch must be activated before you use the throttle trigger, in so doing you are preventing accidental start up.
- There is a chain catcher located at the bottom of the saw, which will help to catch the chain if it jumps or snaps off, providing protection to the hands.
- Rear and front hand guards will help protect the hands and stop foliage and twigs interfering with grip. In addition, further protection is provided by the right hand guard against problems with the chain.
- The possibility of getting conditions associated with the use of power tools is reduced by Anti-vibration feature. The 445 is designed with dampening springs, helping to keep much of the vibration isolated in the power head as against transferring it to the handles.
- It comes with a kill switch. The on/off button can be pressed to immediately cut the power.
The safety features I have mentioned in this Husqvarna 445 chainsaw review, as always, help to minimize but not eliminate risk entirely. To ensure your safety, you need to wear protective clothing and use the chainsaw in the correct manner.
- Comes with many great features.
- Lightweight and easy to handle.
- Easy to start.
- Low vibration.
- Chain tightening system is simple.
- Solid construction and great design.
- Efficient engine.
- Quality cut and good performance.
- Underpowered, particularly for hard woods.
- Oil release system is not adjustable.
- Does this chainsaw come with a chain?
Yes, depending on the model you purchase this chainsaw comes with either an 18” or a 16”, .325 pitch chain. Also, it comes with the proper tool to tighten the chain. Since chain sharpening could take several days, consider getting a second chain as a back-up. If you can manage the time, sharpening the chain by yourself can save you a lot of money in the long run.
- Is this a good chainsaw for a beginner?
The Husqvarna 445 comes with many safety features to reduce rookie mishaps and it is easy to start, so it is a good chainsaw for a beginner. It is reliable enough that an owner can get used to saws before moving up.
- What does the centrifugal air cleaning system do?
A centrifugal air cleaning system makes all the air going for the carburetor ingestion passes through the starter. This helps to push out the large debris and dust even before it reaches the air filter.
As our Husqvarna 445 review suggests, this unit is perfect for homeowners and occasional users. It is powerful enough to take care of big jobs and small jobs and compact enough to be operated by most adults. Although, its 47.5 cc engine is too underpowered to be used professionally. It has limited usefulness while cutting down hardwood trees, and also, it can be a bit tricky to get going.
However, amateurs who only deal with light to medium work will find this to be an excellent chainsaw for them once they get it going. The efficient engine means it will run for a long time before you need to refuel the tool. The comfort and safety features mean you can also keep going for a long time before you need to rest.
You May Like
- Husqvarna 440E Review | 16-Inch Gas Powered Chainsaw
- Husqvarna 240 Review – The Best Light-Weight Chainsaw
- Husqvarna 440 Review – Pros, Cons and Verdict
- Husqvarna 450 Rancher Review – A Versatile Saw